Friday, July 13, 2012

Pappy Van Winkle 23

Wow we have missed a lot of stories over the last two years. Life got in the way I guess.

 Demtri and I are going to be in New Orelanes in a couple weeks and are going to partake in Tales of the cocktail I am sure it is going to generate a story or two.

 For now I will post a review.
Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve is the flagship bourbon of the Sazerac company. It is extemely hard to get a hold of and when you do find it very expensive.

Imagine my surprise when my favorite neighborhood liquor store owner called me one Tuesday morning.

"Brian, get here quick I just got a Pappy shipment, I have a 23, 2 20 year old, 2 12 and 2 10s"

Being in the car already I raced over, the 20s were already sold but I bought the 23, a 12 and a 10. He called me later to let me know he was completely out within 30 minutes of the shipment.

On to the tasting. It can best be described in one word:

WOW!!!

I normally enjoy my bourbon with a single cube of ice so in my initial taste test I did just that. I immediatly could tell something was missing. I poured a 2nd glass neat so I could do a comparison.

I was right - the ice had instantly muted the taste and dulled the flavor a little. The neat serving was perfect it has that rich carmel and oak flavor with just a hint of sweetness.

While the price is pretty high and the bottles are tough to find, if you do get the opportunity to get one run out and do it.

No comments:

WHISKEY'S VEGAS UPDATES